What is 5-HTP?
5-htp is an amino acid (5-hydroxytryptophan) that is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. It is obtained by extraction from Griffonia simplicifolia, which is found in West Africa. 5-HTP has become popular because it is thought that by providing the body with 5-HTP in pill/capsule form, it may boost the body’s serotonin levels.
It is recommended to take anywhere from 50mg to 900mg 5-HTP daily, depending on the needs of the individual. However for best results for the average person, 150mg is most suitable.
5-HTP may support
• Depression – A number of trials have found that 100mg 3 times a day may have beneficial effects as an antidepressant.
• Anxiety – The increased serotonin may reduce anxiety.
• Mood – 5-HTP raises serotonin levels and in so doing, the body changes serotonin into melatonin.
• Insomnia – Melatonin is called the body’s own natural sleeping pill.
• Sleep – Melatonin is released when its time to sleep, enhancing greater and better sleep.
• Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia is an imbalance of the neurotransmitter serotonin. 5-HTP may help raise serotonin levels.
• Migraine – 5-HTP may be the go-to remedy for acute migraine onset and migraine prevention through increasing serotonin levels.
• Weight loss – 5-HTP helps reduce carbohydrate intake and may give the feeling ‘that they’d eaten enough’
• PMS – The variety of symptoms of PMS may be alleviated by increased serotonin levels.
• Addictive behavior – Compulsive behavioral patterns may be subdued somewhat, by increasing the serotonin levels.